Of all of the delicious recipes (at least, I think they’re delicious!) created for weelicious, I have to say
that few things get everyone in my house hustling to the kitchen faster than when I’m making something that smells as heavenly as these
chicken, cheese and pinto bean quesadillas. I knew these were going to be a hit even before my number one taster,
Kenya, put one in his mouth because he was standing at my pant leg grunting and repeatedly saying “mamamamama”, which translated in baby language is
”whatever you’ve got up there I want right now)!!!
These quesadillas couldn’t be easier to make. They take only minutes to prepare and I think Kenya ate more of them in one sitting then anything I’ve ever served him. You can use any type of tortilla, but I like to use whole wheat or spelt. Both kinds came out great, but after the spelt tortillas were cooked, they had a really toasty, nutty flavor. These quesadillas are packed with protein and as we say in our house “yummy, yummy yummy!”
Chicken, Cheese and Bean Quesadillas (make 20 Triangles)
1 Chicken Breast (about 1/2 cup cooked)
3/4 Cup Pinto Beans
1 Cup Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
4 Whole Wheat or Spelt Tortillas
1. Place the chicken breast in a steamer pot over boiling water and steam for 8 minutes or until it’s cooked through.
2. Cut the chicken into several pieces and place it with the beans in a food processor. Pulse until well combined and little pieces remain.
3. Spread 3 Tbsp of the chicken mixture on half of a tortilla. Cover with 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
4. Fold the tortilla in half.
5. Place the tortilla in a saute pan over low to medium heat (there’s no need to add oil, butter or spray). Cook for 2-3 minutes, flip on the other side and continue to cook another 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
6. Cool for several minutes and then cut into 5 triangles.
* The cheese can remain quite hot even after you cut the tortillas into triangles, so make sure it’s cool before serving to your toddler.